High Intensity Interval Training, better known as HIIT, is what we use to refer to a series of short periods of intense workouts alternated with short periods of rest. As a result, you get a significant workout in a short period of time as these usually range between 10 and 30 minutes. Activities involved in HIIT range, but can include sprinting, biking and body weight exercises.
As well as being time-friendly, there are an array of health benefits that HIIT workouts offer.
1. You can burn many calories in a short period of time (often more than with other workouts)
2. It helps you lose fat
3. Contributes to muscle gain
4. Reduces blood sugar (beneficial for this with or at risk of type 2 diabetes)
5. Can improve oxygen consumption
6. Can reduce heart rate and blood pressure (especially in those who are overweight)
7. Increases metabolic rate for hours
Fancy giving HIIT a go? We have HIIT classes on throughout the week at Adrenaline. You can find our class timetable here.