Although it may not seem it, walking is a great way to maintain or improve overall health. It is low impact, requires minimal effort, it can be done at any the time of the day and you can go at your own pace. There are a lot less risks related to walking than there is for more vigorous activities. Just 30 minutes of brisk walking a day can improve your fitness levels.
- Increased cardiovascular and pulmonary fitness
- Reduced risk of heart disease and stroke
- Improved management of conditions (hypertension, joint and muscle pain, diabetes etc.)
- Stronger bones and improved balance
- Increased muscle strength and endurance
- reduced body fat
Walking can be easily implemented into your daily routine. There are many opportunities to fit more walking into your day, such as taking the stairs instead of the lift, walking to the local shop rather than driving and getting off the bus one stop early and walking the rest.
Making Walking Pleasurable and Interesting:
- Vary where you walk - explore your local area, look online for recommended walking routes or even travel somewhere new
- Walk the dog - walking the dog is beneficial for the both of you, and you can have fun playing along the way
- Walk with friends - turn it into a social event, you could even arrange a weekly walk with family or friends
- Join a club - google where your nearest is
- Come on the healthy walk - come on our guided walk every Thursday 10am - 12pm at Adrenaline